Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
Guys like us, that work on
are the loneliest guys in the world.
They got no family.
They don't belong no place...
With us it ain't like that.
We got a future. We got
somebody to talk to that gives a damn about us.
Full Text: Of Mice and Men (First letter of each chapter is missing...you can figure it out. Think of it as a puzzle.)
Full Text Annotated: Of Mice and Men This is an interesting interactive annotated version of the novella. Some annotations are literary, while others are interesting tidbits of trivia. None the less, it is pretty cool.
Audio Book: Of Mice and Men
The Great Depression ~ The Dust Bowl ~ Migrant Workers of the 1930’s
SAVE, TYPE & PRINT YOUR RESPONSES AND FINDINGS.
DO NOT USE COLOR PRINTER FOR THIS ASSIGNMENT
Be thorough---there will be an open notes quiz on the information you are searching for today.
2. The Crash of 1929: Any study of the Great Depression has to start with the economy. List 5 facts about the crash. Think “credit” as in line of credit or credit card. When did stores start using credit? What were other causes of the Great Depression?
3. Dust Bowl Years—Who are they and why are these names important?
Franklin D. Roosevelt?
4. What is Black Tuesday, Dust Pneumonia, Okievilles and Hoovervilles. (Google them!!)
5. What is the New Deal?
6. What is Social Security? Who started it and why?
7. What is the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) and what purpose does it serve?
8. Why was life so difficult for the 1930’s migrant
workers in the Midwest and
9. Find a
10. What did Salinas look like in the 1930’s? What
kind of jobs were in
Biographical Research: John Steinbeck
1. Who is John Steinbeck?
2. What kind of childhood and upbringing did he have? What was his family like?
3. Where did he grow up?
4. What inspired him to be an author?
5. What is an advocate? What/Who was Steinbeck an advocate for?
6. What were some common themes/subjects of his novels?
7. When was his first book published?
8. What was the first book he had published?
9. What kind of life did he live as an adult?
10. When did he die?
End of April 19 & 20 Assignment
While We Read Of Mice and Men
Copy and paste these questions to a word document OR number 1-12 in the blank space in the back of your review guide and write just the answers.
1. Looking back on the literature we have read this year, which character interests you most?
2. Which piece of literature is your character from?
3.Who is the author of that piece of literature?
4.What is the genre? (short story, novel, play, poem, etc.)
5.What is that novel/play/story mainly about? (write a 25 word or less summary)
6.Physically describe your character.
7.Give 5 words (traits) that would best describe your character.
8.How does the author show the reader each of these traits?
9.What are some things your character might say?
10.What might other characters say about your character?
11.What are some specific ways your character behaves? (How do they act? What do they do?)
12. Is your character the protagonist, antagonist, or secondary character?
Copy and Paste the Of Mice and Men True/False Quiz below and check your answers in class tomorrow! (or just number your paper 1-31)
Do you second guess yourself when taking a true false test?
Strategy: If you answer FALSE, underline the part of the sentence that makes it FALSE and write the correct answer after!
Ex. Carlson gossiped about several people on the ranch. Candy was the gossiper.
1. The boss expected George and Lennie to show up for work earlier than they did.
2. When the boss was interviewing George and Lennie, Lennie followed instructions didn’t say a word.
3. Curley is the boss's son.
4. Curley is a huge, but gentle man.
5. Candy has no respect for Curley's wife.
6. George is afraid that trouble will develop between Curley and Lennie.
7. Slim is sometimes an incompetent, bumbling ranch hand.
8. George treats Curley with respect and politeness.
9. Carlson shoots Candy's dog.
10. Lennie is a small man with sharp features and George is a huge man with sloping shoulders.
11. Slim thinks it's "kinda funny" that George and Candy travel around together.
12. Slim makes Curley agree to say that he got his hand smashed in the door.
13. Lennie realizes the ranch is a “mean” place and wants to leave.
14. George warns Lennie to stay away from Curley.
15. George looks after Lennie because they are cousins.
16. According to Candy, Curley, is a bully who likes to pick fights with men bigger than he is.
17. Lennie likes to kill small animals.
18. Lennie is too frightened to defend himself.
19. Aunt Clara is unable to care for Lennie because of her own mental handicap.
20. Of Mice and Men takes place in Sacramento, California in the 1920’s.
21. The Salinas River is north of Soledad.
22. George and Lennie were physically similar.
23. Lennie called Slim “a crazy bastard"?
24. George allowed Lennie to carry his own work card.
25. George takes a bird away from Lennie.
26. Lennie threatens to go back to Weed if George won’t stop taking his mice from him.
27. Aunt Clara gave Lennie velvet.
28. George thought he could live so easy if he were alone.
29. George and Lennie had to leave Weed because Lennie grabbed a girl’s dress and scared her.
30. George doesn't care if Lennie goes or stays.
31. George has instructed Lennie not to take the pup out of the nest in the barn.